By TITO ADESANYA
For individuals looking from the outside in, the music business is certainly one the most misinterpreted businesses out there. This, though, is completely understandable, as I too was also mesmerised by the champagne lifestyle that I saw executives and musicians living when I first started as an intern at a relatively large independent label. Due to my misconception, I negligently failed to appreciate what it really took to make it in the business, and slowly, I began to realise the significance of maintaining a firm grasp of the business and legal elements that is attached to the actual music.
Obtaining a law degree aided me in comprehending the legal and business side to the music industry, which if not digested, will largely hamper the chances of any individual wishing to make it in the industry. So, as I randomly reflected on the music business one day, I sympathetically thought about the countless individuals out there who do not necessarily possess a solid knowledge of law and business. How were they ever going to make the transition from music lovers to music business luminaries?
That is when I optimistically came up with the idea for my book: A Newcomer’s Guide To The Music Business. Moreover, I had also commonly found that the current array of books available were far too complicated for industry newbies, so I definitely felt a book was needed which simplified the legal and business essentials for rookies.
The main objective of the book, is to try and delicately push potential newcomers to look at the music business from an intellectual property and business prospective. Because anyone who has enjoyed long-term success within the music business will either understand these two vital components themselves, or they will have people employed who are able to handle these matters on their behalf.
It is easy to get seductively caught up in the practical side of music, since that is what the majority deems exciting and appealing. But in attempting to infiltrate the music “business”; mastering the creative aspects is only 30% of the job done. The remaining 70% lies in the business and legal elements being absorbed, and the sooner an industry rookie accepts this reality, the smoother their passage into the music business will be.
Tito Adesanya is the author of A Newcomer’s Guide To The Music Business.